In order to create ozone artificially, three common methods are used. These include ultraviolet light radiation, Electro Analysis, and Air discharge. Electro Analysis is divided into two types:
- Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) Ozone technology
- Chemical Electrolysis Technology
Polymer Electrolyte Membrane is a method of separating hydrogen from oxygen by electrolysis using low-tension current connection between cathode and anode of a special solid membrane.
In PEM, special materials are used as dielectric substances to create ozone under a low-tension, high-density current. Anode and cathode liquors are exposed to electrodes to generate ozone. Throughout a constant pressure stream of oxygen injected with up to 18% ozone, the PEM ozone generator produces ozone. An electrolytic generator consists of anodes and anode flow fields, cathodes and cathode flow fields, and a proton exchange medium to maintain oxygen and hydrogen separation.
A hydrogen and oxygen mixture is venting from the cathode reservoir of the ozone generator, which is also venting oxygen from the anode reservoir. It is possible to continue to produce ozone while filling the anode reservoir with cathode fluid. System controllers can control the anode reservoir of the ozone generator at a constant pressure in order to control the generator on its own.
As compared with common technologies, PEM technology has a number of advantages, such as being easier to install and use, safer, longer lasting, and more adaptable with high concentrations of ozone. Furthermore, the system presents several advantages over air discharge systems, such as the lack of predisposing equipment and the requirement for only a small amount of electricity and water for operation.
The Principle of PEM
In PEM, the source of energy is only water that can decompose into oxygen, ozone, and hydrogen, and these can be released into the atmosphere, but oxygen and ozone are completely safe. PEM is currently the most effective method used today. Low-tension DC voltage used in this product ensures a long life, as wear on anodes and cathodes is minimal (the expected lifespan exceeds 15,000 hours).
Similarly, air discharge technology can also be used to manufacture ozone, such as the placement of two parallel electrodes parallel to each other and dielectric substance dielectrics between them. The hydrogen (78%), oxygen in air (21%), and other gases are attacked by high-tension currents greater than 10000V when exposed to certain discharge periods, causing the oxygen to form Ozone as a result of the heat created.
In addition to NOX nitrides, which are internationally known as poisonous and can cause cancer, other compounds are formed simultaneously. Due to the limited amount of oxygen in the air and the use of a high-tension current and wearable electrodes, it is unlikely that high-purity ozone can be produced with air discharge technology.
The PEM Technical Parameter of Electrodes
|Gas output quantity||3L / h /gm Ozone|
|Gas component||Oxygen & Ozone|
|Ozone concentration||18~20% (wt/wt)|
|Input power source||DC 0.4V-1.2A / cm2|
|Power consumption||-44W / gm Ozone|
|Pure water consumption||6ml / gm Ozone|
|Ambient moisture||less than 90%|
The Installation of PEM System
In ozone equipment which produce ozone or ozone water, these electrodes are used to create ozone:
Installation Requirements for Ozone Production
- Accessories: Anode tanks, cathode tanks, connecting pipes, special power supply relays
- Other requirements: Water tanks for Cathodes and Anodes should be made of inconductive, anticorrosive, and heat dissipating materials with good heat dissipation. The connecting pipe should be made of nonconductive, antioxidizing, and heat dissipating materials with low thermal parameters.
Installation requirements for Ozone water
- Accessories : Multi-channel pipes, booster pump, connecting pipes, mixing equipment, relay, and special power source.
- Other requirements : It is recommended that the pure water source be adopted using pure water, anti-osmotic equipment, and distilled water; the booster pump should work with self-suction pumps that have 4kg or more water outflow pressure; the service pipes should be stainless steel or UPVC pipes of standard sizes the connecting pipes should be 6mm-8mm in diameter with good anti-oxidation properties and low thermal parameters.
Leave a Comment